The UW-Marshfield/Wood County campus welcomes and encourages the use of the Helen Connor Laird Fine Arts Building theatres for the promotion of the performing arts within the greater Marshfield community.
Helen Laird C. Theatre Stage
The Helen C. Laird Theatre is a 340-seat thrust stage theatre. It is fully equipped with a 48-dimmer, computerized stage-lighting system and a professional sound system, including CD, tape and mini-disk capabilities. In addition, videotape, DVD and PowerPoint equipment is available. The backstage area includes two dressing rooms, a green room and scene shop. If requested, a portable shell, choir risers and an array of platforms is available.
Black Box Theatre
The Black Box Theatre offers intimate, flexible seating configurations for up to 90 people. It has its own stage lighting and sound system.
Helen Connor Laird Fine Arts Building
The Helen Connor Laird Fine Arts Building, completed in 1971, is the primary venue for the performing arts events on campus. The building houses the 340-seat Helen Connor Laird Theatre, the Fine Arts Gallery, and the UW Box Office for ticket sales on the building's main level. The intimate arena-style Black Box Theatre and rehearsal and practice rooms for theatre and music students are found on the lower level.
The Helen Connor Laird Fine Arts Building was officially named by the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents in 1984 to honor the memory of Helen Connor Laird (1888-1982), a lifelong resident of Marshfield and patron of the arts in the community. Mrs. Laird was the first woman president of the Marshfield Board of Education and a member of the UW Board of Regents (1951-1959).
Many of the special programs in the arts which are presented in the Helen Connor Laird Fine Arts Building are made possible by the Laird Fund for the Arts, established and sustained by the family of Helen Connor Laird.